<< Return to search results
Provided training on autism, reading & reference books, teaching supplies & set up library.
The Alpha Centre is one of two schools in Dominica for special needs children. Teachers identified a need for training, tools or resources to help them to assist autistic children to meet their maximum potential.
The project delivered:
1) Training for teachers & parents, not only for the Alpha Centre but for teachers & parents from schools throughout Dominica
2) Reading Books, reference books & teaching supplies & tools to the Alpha Centre
3) Set up library(laptop, software & printer) & classified over 1000 donated books
4) Provide 3 manual sewing machines (Rotary Club of Dominica)
5) Training for 70 health professionals
Alpha Centre now a sharing library: The reference resources provided have proven so useful that the teachers at the training college are now using the library at the Alpha Centre for reference.
The team was comprised of two Rotarians (Julia Ginley & Carmen Larsen-Grijalva) and two specialists: Vicki Storaas (CHEO) & Jamie Anne Giggey (ECE)